NOTE: These power rankings account for everything that happens in the actual episodes. They do NOT take into account future episode previews or any spoilers floating around the Internet.
WARNING: SPOILERS from the second week coming.
- Abigail, 25, a client financial manager from Beaverton, Ore. (no change) — Abigail doesn’t get a one-on-one or group date this week, but leads often do this with contestants they feel especially strong about. During their one-on-one time at the cocktail party, Abigail comes up with a secret signal to get his attention in group settings where she touches one of her earrings. Their chemistry still seems extremely strong, with Matt remarks “I don’t have to try hard to have a good time around her.”
- Bri, 24, a communications manager from San Francisco, Calif. (no change) — Bri gets the first one-on-one date — an adventure that includes ATVs, a hot tub, and fireworks. She and Matt bond over the importance of family and how they grew up with absent fathers. They seem to be pretty into each other, and she gets the one-on-one date rose.
- Sarah, 24, a broadcast journalist from San Diego, Calif. (+8) — Sarah’s one-on-one date looks pretty dope — a biplane ride with Matt over the scenic Nemacolin Resort. Although she initially struggles to open up, she later tells Matt about her father’s ALS diagnosis and how she moved back home to be a caregiver. Matt is really impressed, saying “she’s selfless, she’s loving, she’s caring, she’s compassionate, she’s resilient, like what more could you ask for in someone that you’d be looking to spend the rest of your life with.” Sarah gets the one-on-one date rose.
- Rachael, 24, a graphic designer from Cumming, Ga. (-1) — Rachael isn’t as much of a main character in this week’s episode, but she does seem to have a lot of interviews, which is a good sign. I’m expecting her to get a one-on-one date in the next few weeks.
- Lauren, 29, a corporate attorney from Miami, Fla. (+17) — During the group date, Lauren opens up about the importance of religion in her life and how she’s looking for a man of faith. Matt appreciates their similar outlooks on life and gives her the group date rose. It’s a very strong signal considering that there were a whopping 18 girls on the group date (surely that has to be a record!)
- Mari, 24, a marketing director from Odenton, Md. (-2) — Even though her team loses the ‘capture the heart’ game, Matt appreciates her effort and invites her to join the winning team for the second half of the group date. Other than that, she isn’t as prominent in this episode, but I still have her pretty high up because of how much Matt seemed to be into her during the premiere.
- Jessenia, 27, a social media marketer from San Antonio, Texas (+8) — Jessenia and Matt share a nice moment during the group date, where Matt reassures her when she opens up about how infidelity has hurt her in past relationships. They also share a nice kiss during their time together.
- Khaylah, 28, a healthcare advocate from Durham, N.C. (-3) — We do not see as much of Khaylah this week, but her connection with Matt from the premiere was strong.
- Serena P., 22, a publicist from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (-3)
- Kit, 21, a socialite from New York City, N.Y. (-3)
- Katie, 29, a bank marketing manager from Renton, Wash. (-1) — On the group date, Katie remarks that she’s “never been so excited about someone…in a long time.” Strong interest in the lead is pretty much a prerequisite for a deep run, and Katie definitely has that covered.
- Chelsea, 28, a runway model from Brooklyn, N.Y. (-3)
- Kaili, 26, a hostess from Chicago, Ill. (-5) — She made a very bold entrance but we have not seen much of her since then. It’s possible I may have overrated her chances initially.
- Victoria, 27, a queen from Los Angeles, Calif. (-2) — Victoria fully steps into her role as the villain this week. As Alana puts it, “there’s just a lot she does that’s off-putting.” Her feud with Marylynn comes out of left field, and she really seems to relish stirring up arguments with the other girls for no reason. Matt does seem to appreciate her honesty and openness, which probably allows her to stick around for a few weeks. But at the same time, I feel like her role as the villain is coming on very quickly and very strong, which just isn’t sustainable. If I had to guess, I’d say that she’ll end up going home on a 2-on-1 date in like 2–3 weeks.
- Serena C., 24, a flight attendant from San Francisco, Calif. (+4) — Serena C. has been getting featured progressively more in interviews as the season progresses. And there’s a strong correlation between screen time and advancing to future weeks.
- Alana, 26, a photographer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada (-2)
- MJ, 23, a hairstylist from Hudson, Ohio (+4) — MJ successfully captures the heart for the red team during the group date game.
- Pieper, 23, a graduate student from Happy Valley, Ore. (+5)
- Magi, 32, a pharmacist from Adwa, Ethiopia (+5)
- Anna, 24, a copywriter from Chicago, Ill. (-7) — Not much screen time for Anna this week.
- Marylynn, 28, an event coordinator from Studio City, Calif. (-1) — Looks like Marylynn is the first target on Victoria’s hit list. Victoria accuses Marylynn of ‘bullying’ her after seeing the orchid that Matt gifted her during the cocktail party. I haven’t yet seen much evidence of a particularly strong connection between her and Matt, which probably makes it difficult for her advance now that Victoria has gone after her. The most successful contestants who make it to the Final Four usually do not get involved in the early drama.
- Kristin, 27, an attorney from Jersey City, N.J. (-6)
- Sydney, 28, a marketing specialist from Nashville, Tenn. (-6)
- Illeana, 25, a health food developer from New York City, N.Y. (-6)