The Bachelor 2021 Power Rankings (Week 1)
NOTE: These power rankings account for everything that happens in the actual episodes. They do NOT take into account future episode previews or any spoilers floating around the Internet.
All power rankings blog posts: week 9, week 8, week 7, week 6, week 5, week 4, week 3, week 2, week 1
WARNING: SPOILERS from the first week coming.
- Abigail, 25, a client financial manager from Beaverton, Ore. — Matt gives Abigail his first-impression rose, a very strong signal of a top contender (although it tends to be a stronger signal on The Bachelorette versus The Bachelor). After her limo entrance, Matt remarks “she is gorgeous. I’m blown away,” with a big smile on his face as she walks inside. Later on, Matt appreciates her honesty and openness about being deaf, and they share a first kiss. This is the first kiss that Matt himself initiates, and they seem to have pretty solid chemistry. I would be pretty surprised if Abigail did not make it to the Final Four.
- Bri, 24, a communications manager from San Francisco, Calif. — Bri has the first limo entrance and Matt says “wow, she was incredible” after meeting her. Later on, they seem to have a great deal of chemistry while talking, and in her interviews with the producers, you can tell that she is very into him. She says “everything flows so naturally; it’s kind of surreal…I’ve never had a feeling before where I meet someone and I’m like we could be engaged after this.” Bri also receives the first Rose Ceremony rose, which signals that there was never any doubt that she was making it past the first week.
- Rachael, 24, a graphic designer from Cumming, Ga. — Rachael is extremely touched by Matt opening up the cocktail party with a prayer. If they are both very religious, that should play to her advantage (we all just saw what happened with Ivan last season!) Matt also seems to be into her, saying “she’s beautiful, she’s articulate, she’s sexy, and she’s being open and vulnerable.” She gets the second Rose Ceremony rose, which is a signal of a top contender.
- Mari, 24, a marketing director from Odenton, Md. — Right after meeting her, Matt says “you ever meet somebody and you just don’t know what to say? That was that moment…[I was] trying to be smooth, but you can’t sometimes.” Later on, Mari shows him a fake plane ticket and says that she wants to travel to his heart. She starts to open up about her family being from Puerto Rico when she is interrupted by Katie. But I suspect we’ll see more of her in future episodes.
- Khaylah, 28, a healthcare advocate from Durham, N.C. — Ever since Becca Kufrin’s season of The Bachelorette, there often seems to be a contestant who the lead says “reminds me of home.” That seems to be the angle being played here — Khaylah and Matt are both from North Carolina, and they enjoy some sweet tea together in the back of the pickup truck she brings. These contestants usually go pretty far on the show.
- Serena P., 22, a publicist from Toronto, Ontario, Canada — Serena brings a step stool for her limo entrance because Matt is exceptionally tall — basically the reverse of what Conor S. did on Hannah Brown’s season of The Bachelorette. Her sparkly green dress really stands out. She later plays chess with Matt outside the mansion.
- Kit, 21, a socialite from New York City, N.Y. — Kit arrives in a sports car and says that she “love[s] being the center of attention.” She seems like someone who has the confidence to go after what she wants and not be afraid to make a splash. Like Matt, Kit lives in New York City, which I think is somewhat of an advantage. Many previous Bachelor franchise couples have broken up because of the long distance relationship struggles, so the lead knowing a contestant lives nearby probably gives them a leg up. She is very young though — this may weigh on Matt’s mind as he thinks about who is ready for marriage.
- Kaili, 26, a hostess from Chicago, Ill. — Kaili makes a strong first impression by showing up in her lingerie and asking Matt to pick out a dress for her. Matt seems to be into it, saying “you gotta love a woman with confidence.” We did not however, see much of her after her bold entrance.
- Chelsea, 28, a runway model from Brooklyn, N.Y. — Matt seems to be attracted to her, saying “wow, she is wearing that dress.” During their 1 on 1 time later, they have some fun dancing and appear to have decent chemistry. She receives the third Rose Ceremony rose, which is a decent signal.
- Katie, 29, a bank marketing manager from Renton, Wash. — Katie brings a vibrator for her limo entrance and Matt seems to think it’s funny. Matt tells her “you look incredible” and she seems to get a decent amount of screen time throughout the entire episode.
- Sarah, 24, a broadcast journalist from San Diego, Calif. — Sarah has a featured introduction where she talks about being a caregiver for her dad, who is terminally ill with ALS. She says moving home and becoming a caregiver was the “best decision I could’ve ever made.” She was the first person Matt talked to at the cocktail party and received the fourth Rose Ceremony rose.
- Victoria, 27, a queen from Los Angeles, Calif. — Victoria arrives in a carriage and pronounces herself as the queen. Apparently she has never heard of the ‘drinking from a fire hose’ idiom. She seems incredibly annoying and dramatic, which means that the producers will ensure she sticks around for a few episodes to get into arguments with the other girls.
- Anna, 24, a copywriter from Chicago, Ill. — As part of her limo entrance, Anna brings a survival kit for Matt that includes some ‘red flags’ for the other girls — Matt finds this funny. Later on, she seems to be really stressed about getting a rose because she didn’t get more time to talk with him. The fact that she was interviewed quite a bit by the producers is a decent signal that she may be an important character.
- Alana, 26, a photographer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada — She brings spaghetti as part of her entrance and she and Matt do the spaghetti kiss from Lady and the Tramp. Technically this would be Matt’s first kiss as the bachelor, but in my experience this doesn’t really correlate all that much with future success.
- Jessenia, 27, a social media marketer from San Antonio, Texas
- Kristin, 27, an attorney from Jersey City, N.J. — Like Kit, Kristin may have a bit of a home field advantage since she is from the NYC area.
- Sydney, 28, a marketing specialist from Nashville, Tenn. — When she gets out of the limo, Sydney tells Matt “you are the hottest human being I have ever met.” Could be a sign that she is really into him, or could just be something the producers told her to say.
- Illeana, 25, a health food developer from New York City, N.Y. — Makes a crude joke involving meatballs that Matt finds entertaining. Also has home field advantage being from NYC.
- Serena C., 24, a flight attendant from San Francisco, Calif. — Seems very stressed about getting a rose because she didn’t get time with him at the cocktail party. She seems to see a lot of potential with him.
- Marylynn, 28, an event coordinator from Studio City, Calif. — Also seems very stressed about getting a rose during the Rose Ceremony.
- MJ, 23, a hairstylist from Hudson, Ohio
- Lauren, 29, a corporate attorney from Miami, Fla.
- Pieper, 23, a graduate student from Happy Valley, Ore. — Pieper’s last name is also James, and her parents want her to keep her last name when she gets married. How convenient!
- Magi, 32, a pharmacist from Adwa, Ethiopia — Moved to America 9 years ago to get her doctorate in pharmacy.